Grade-Level K–8 Reading, K–8 Writing, and K–2 Phonics Virtual Teaching Resources
Lucy Calkins and her Teachers College Reading and Writing Project colleagues have adapted last year’s reading and phonics Virtual Teaching Resources to offer teachers support that’s aligned with their 2021-22 Suggested Sequence of units.
The minilesson videos in the 2021-22 subscriptions for grades K–8 serve as valuable exemplars for effective, concise, and engaging minilessons, exemplars that can help teachers lift the level of their in-person minilessons. Additionally, teachers may share these videos directly with students in classrooms that remain virtual.
Who Should Consider these Subscriptions?
The Reading, Writing, and Phonics Virtual Teaching Resources are designed for schools that are teaching with print reading, writing, and phonics Units of Study, especially those who used UOS Virtual Teaching Resources last year. See the charts below for a list of the virtual units included in these 2021-22 school year subscriptions. Please Note: All series are available separately. Middle School Reading modules are sold individually to allow for flexible implementation.
These videos are recommended for use by teachers as models for effective, engaging teaching. In addition, teachers in classrooms that will remain virtual may share these videos directly with students.
Video Support for Teachers and Parents/Caregivers
A set of very brief videos for teachers are interspersed across each unit to provide additional guidance for instruction. Each unit also contains a parent/caregiver video explaining ways to support children's literacy development at home.
Quick Guide to Virtual Teaching for the Units of Study
The Quick Guide offers guidance on workshop essentials and best practices, with specific advice for those whose classrooms will remain virtual including tips for planning and for filming additional videos for your students.
Student Facing Minilessons
Platform Demo Video
Preview the Units of Study Virtual Teaching Resources platform. Note that although this video references the 2020-21 Virtual Teaching Resources, the platform shown here is utilized by the 2021-22 Virtual Teaching Resources subscriptions as well.
Planning Support/Terms and Conditions
- Units included in each UOS Virtual Teaching Resources Subscription were chosen based on the TCRWP 2021–22 Suggested Sequence. Please note: The units in the 2021-22 UOS VTR do not specifically align to all units in the print sets of Units of Study. In addition, not all units referenced in the Suggested Sequence are included in the 2021-22 UOS VTR.
- Each teacher who will use the 2021-22 Virtual Teaching Resources must have his or her own subscription that will be valid for use only with his or her own students. Subscriptions are not shareable or transferrable.
- All School-Year and Ramp-Up subscriptions may be activated beginning on July 26, 2021 (or the purchase date if purchased after July 26). School-Year subscriptions will all end on June 30, 2022.
- Purchases of subscriptions made after the start date will not be prorated.
- The email address you supply with your order is the email to which Heinemann will send the subscription activation code(s) for your order. For school or district orders, that person must be prepared to receive, distribute, and track subscription activation codes.
- Returns and exchanges of subscription activation codes will be accepted prior to activation and must be requested by September 30, 2021 or within two weeks of receipt of your order, whichever is later.
- All grade-level Reading, Writing, and Phonics Units of Study Virtual Teaching Resources subscriptions are available ONLY to users of the corresponding print sets of Units of Study. New UOS users will be required to register their print units before they will be able to access their UOS Virtual Teaching Resources subscriptions (current users will already have OLR set up in their accounts). New users will find detailed instructions in the frontmatter of their print Guides and Unit Books to register their units before they will be able to access their UOS VTR subscriptions).
- Required and recommended trade books: Teachers will need copies of specific trade books to teach some of the virtual units, along with enough books to support a high volume of student reading across all units. See the Required and Recommended Trade Books List for complete details on necessary trade books and additional recommended titles and series you may wish to consider as you provision classrooms.
Order Forms for All 2021-22 Virtual Teaching Resources
The order forms below list all the available 2021-22 Units of Study Virtual Teaching Resources. See the “Option 1” section for the K–8 Reading subscriptions and the K–2 Phonics subscriptions. To purchase online with a credit card, click on the subscription thumbnail images below.
Writing Virtual Teaching Resources
Reading Virtual Teaching Resources
Please Note: Just like the Middle School Reading print units, the Virtual Teaching Resources for Grades 6–8 Reading are sold separately, unit-by-unit.