"Powerful instruction produces visible and immediate results; when youngsters are taught well, the thinking, talking, and writing about reading they produce becomes far more substantial, complex, and significant. Good teaching pays off. When you provide students with constant opportunities to read and to write and when you actively and assertively teach into their best efforts, their literacy development will astonish you, their parents, the school administrators, and best of all, the students themselves."
Following on the success of the Units of Study in Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing,
the Units of Study for Teaching Reading, K–5 offers grade-by-grade curricula in reading designed to meet ambitious 21st-century global standards. Drawing on learning gleaned from decades of research, curriculum development, and working shoulder-to-shoulder with students, teachers, and school leaders, this new reading series will be rooted in the Project's best practices and newest thinking.
The new grade-by-grade Units of Study for Teaching Reading, K-5, will:
- provide state-of-the-art tools and methods to help students move up the ladder of text complexity
- build foundational reading skills and strategies
- support the teaching of interpretation, synthesis, and main idea
- provide all the teaching points, minilessons, conferences, and small-group work needed to teach a comprehensive workshop curriculum
- include the resources to help teachers build and evolve anchor charts across each unit
- help teachers use learning progressions to assess students’ reading work, develop their use of self-monitoring strategies, and set students on trajectories of growth
- give teachers opportunities to teach and to learn teaching while receiving strong scaffolding and on-the-job guidance
Click here to join our email list!
Series Overview, K-5
Unit Summaries, K-5
NOW AVAILABLE! Grade-by-Grade Orientation Videos
One-day Units of Study Workshops
Common Core Correlation
Product & Price List