Units of Study for Teaching Reading
A WORKSHOP CURRICULUM
Lucy Calkins and Colleagues from the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project
"The Units of Study for Teaching Reading, K–5, series focuses on the skills that are most high leverage for young readers—that is, if readers develop these thinking skills, and they are moving up reading levels at the same time, they’ll do well. They'll do well on state tests, they'll do well in book clubs and authentic reading experiences, they'll do well as they read within social studies and science disciplines as well as for ELA."
Following on the success of the Units of Study in Opinion, Information, and Narrative Writing,
Lucy Calkins and colleagues from TCRWP have been hard at work on new Units of Study for Teaching Reading, K–5. This series will offer grade-by-grade curricula in reading designed to meet ambitious 21st-century global standards. Drawing on learning gleaned from decades of research, curriculum development, and working shoulder-to-shoulder with students, teachers, and school leaders, this new reading series will be rooted in the Project's best practices and newest thinking.
The new grade-by-grade Units of Study for Teaching Reading, K-5, will:
- provide state-of-the-art tools and methods to help students move up the ladder of text complexity
- build foundational reading skills and strategies
- support the teaching of interpretation, critical reading, synthesis, and main idea
- offer classroom structures to support inquiry and collaboration
- help teachers use learning progressions to assess students' reading work, develop their use of self-monitoring strategies, and set students on trajectories of growth
- give teachers opportunities to teach and to learn teaching while receiving strong scaffolding and on-the-job guidance.
Please click here to sign up to receive email updates as new information becomes available.
Unit Contents Preview
Grade-by-Grade Unit Titles
Product & Price List