TCRWP 2021 Summer School Curriculum
Reading * Writing * Phonics
For Rising Grades 1-6, available by subscription
A turnkey resource with flexible options to fit various schedules and timeframes.
This powerful new summer school curriculum is designed for remote, in-person, and hybrid instruction for rising grades 1-6 students. All of the lessons in each unit have been video recorded, in a manner resembling the 2020-21 Virtual Units of Study. TCRWP has incorporated research-based teaching methods, tools, and resources to provide students with intense tutoring as they engage with lively literate communities.
Like the school-year Units of Study curriculum, these resources are designed to help teachers learn as well as teach. This summer school curriculum is absolutely designed to help teachers learn the newest researched-based methods for teaching phonemic awareness, assessment-based decoding, vocabulary, knowledge generation, argument, and more. Teachers may use the student videos to teach directly or to guide their own teaching. Resources will be available starting on May 24, 2021.
Available by subscription for summer 2021, this flexible virtual curriculum offers:
- Reading and writing units with all-new content for in-person, remote, or hybrid use
- Standards-based instruction, focused on foundational skills
- A turnkey resource for teachers, with student-facing videos, video support for teachers and families, guidelines for daily instruction, downloadable resources (e.g., charts, checklists), and assessments to help teachers monitor progress
- 20-26 sessions per module, which can be adapted to be taught in any summer school timeframe
- Trade Book Packs (available for separate purchase) and suggested book lists to help administrators provision classrooms with books to support culturally responsive teaching
- Professional development to help teachers get started, plus Office Hours Q&A sessions to provide ongoing support (available separately, directly from TCRWP)
Each of the grade-level subscriptions in the TCRWP Summer School Curriculum includes the following:
Student-Facing Minilesson Videos
All of the minilessons in these new units have been video recording by TCRWP Staff Developers to support remote, hybrid, and in person teaching and learning. They may also be used for teacher planning and professional learning for in-person teaching.
Teacher Videos and Downloadable Resources
A short teacher-facing video at the beginning of each unit offers guidance for teachers. Downloadable resources include session-by-session guidelines for teaching and pdf versions of student-facing resources.
Explain ways to support each child’s literacy development during summer school and across the whole summer
Turnkey with Flexible Options
- TCRWP Virtual Summer School Curriculum, Grade-Level Subscriptions, Rising Grade 1 – Rising Grade 6 offers a complete summer school curriculum that can be adapted for any timeframe.
- Individual Modules from the TCRWP Virtual Summer School Curriculum are also available separately, to allow districts that need flexible options the opportunity to create a customized curriculum.
- Additional Modules, available separately, offer important ways to extend learning.
- Subscriptions available beginning May 24, 2021.
Professional Development from TCRWP
To help educators prepare to implement the TCRWP Virtual Summer School Curriculum, online PD is available directly from the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project. PD includes half-day grade-level sessions held live in early June and recorded for on-demand use across the summer. Your PD registration also includes access to follow-up Office Hours webinars with your grade-level staff developer throughout the months of June and July.
Trade Book Packs for grade-level subscriptions are available for purchase through Heinemann. See the Trade Books List for required books and additional recommended books
Please Note: We anticipate that the trade book packs will begin to ship on June 15th. If you need to receive books before the end of June, please refer to the Summer School Trade Book list.
Suggested Sequence and Daily Schedule
Units Included for Each Grade-Level Subscription and Additional Modules
This chart lists the unit titles included in the TCRWP Virtual Summer School Curriculum for each grade.
For detailed descriptions of the units that make up each grade-level subscription, please see the Overview. Note that all units in the grade-level curriculum are also available as individual modules to support flexible implementation.
This chart demonstrates suggested daily schedules for the Virtual Summer School Curriculum, including a schedule for Rising Grade 1–Rising Grade 3 and two schedule options for Rising Grade 4–Rising Grade 6.
Rising Grade 1, Reading/Phonics Unit:
Using Sound Power to Read, Session 2: “Writing More Sounds in Words”
Rising Grade 2, Reading/Phonics Unit:
Strengthening Vowel Power to Read, Session 4: “A Spelling Tip from Rasheed”
Rising Grades 1-3 Reading Partners:
Moving Readers Up Levels (Levels A-J)—Level E: “Cold Day, Hot Chocolate”
Rising Grades 3-6 Reading Partners:
Guiding Readers Up Levels (Levels K-N)—Level N: Jada Jones Series
Platform Demo Video
The TCRWP Virtual Summer School Curriculum utilizes the same platform that the Units of Study Virtual Teaching Resources, 2020-21 subscriptions used. Preview that platform below.
NOTE: Unlike the UOS Virtual Teaching Resources, 2020-21 subscriptions, you do not need to register print units in order to access the summer school curriculum subscriptions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Select a question to reveal or hide the answer.
What is included with each Grade-Level Subscription?
What sequence of instruction does this curriculum follow?
Can that sequence be adjusted for different timeframes?
How can teachers use these videos?
Is professional Development available for the summer school curriculum?
How can I see samples of the minilesson videos?
When will the TCRWP Virtual Summer School Curriculum be published?
How can my school/district purchase these subscriptions?
How do the subscriptions work and how are orders fulfilled?
Which trade books are required to teach this Summer School Curriculum?
Will these resources be compatible with our systems?
Please review all the Subscription Details and Planning Considerations below before requesting a quote and placing an order.
An accurate recipient email address for your order is required—the email address provided will receive the subscription activation codes when the order is fulfilled. This recipient will be responsible for distributing the codes to teachers and for keeping a record of who received the codes in case there are any future questions.
Please read the entire Summer School Subscriptions Terms and Conditions and be sure to note the following information:
- All subscriptions last 12 weeks, starting from the point of purchase (if ordered on or after May 24th) or starting on May 24th (if preordered before May 24th). Those who need subscription access in August should delay their purchases to ensure the appropriate 12-week window.
- Each teacher needs their own subscription: You will want to order enough subscriptions to correspond with the number of summer school teachers you will have. Subscriptions are non-transferable.
- Teachers do NOT need to have the print UOS resources registered to their Online Resources in order to use these subscriptions
- If you are the email recipient who will receive the keycodes when the order is fulfilled but you are not the person who will be using the subscription, please DO NOT try registering the keycode to test it out—the keycodes are only valid for the number of subscriptions that were purchased and registering it to test it out will use up one of the activations you’ve purchased.
As you plan your Units of Study Virtual Teaching Resources order, please be sure to consider the following:
- Subscriptions are available as grade-level subscriptions or as individual modules: The modules that make up the grade-level curriculum are also available for individual purchase, allowing schools and districts more options to plan a customized sequence to fit specific timeframes and instructional needs. See the brochure for more information.
- Professional Development: Summer School PD to help teachers get started is available directly from TCRWP.
- Suggested Sequence and Daily Schedule: see pages 4-5 of the brochure for the suggested 6-week half-day sequence and the daily schedule charts.
- Required Trade Books: Review the trade books needed to teach the virtual summer school units via the TCRWP Virtual Summer School Curriculum Trade Books List.
PLEASE NOTE: The TCRWP Virtual Summer School Curriculum subscriptions will be published on 5/24 and the trade book packs that accompany the grade-level subscriptions will begin to ship on 6/15. To request a quote or place a preorders, please fill out the order forms below and reach out to Customer Service or to your local Heinemann Sales Rep.
To place a preorder with a credit card, please purchase on the Heinemann website via the links below.