Grade-Level K-8 Reading, K-8 Writing, and K-2 Phonics Virtual Teaching Resources
Lucy Calkins and her Teachers College Reading and Writing Project colleagues are offering last year's Virtual Teaching Resources to offer support for teachers who would like to continue to use them for one more year. Please Note: These do not align with the forthcoming new editions.
The minilesson videos in these subscriptions for grades K-8 serve as valuable exemplars for effective, concise, and engaging minilessons, exemplars that can help teachers lift the level of their in-person minilessons. Additionally, teachers may share these videos directly with students.
Which Units are Included in these Subscriptions?
See the charts below for a list of the virtual units included in these school year subscriptions. Please Note: All series are available separately. Middle School Reading modules are sold individually to allow for flexible implementation.
These videos are recommended for use by teachers as models for effective, engaging teaching. In addition, teachers in classrooms that will remain virtual may share these videos directly with students.
Video Support for Teachers and Parents/Caregivers
A set of very brief videos for teachers are interspersed across each unit to provide additional guidance for instruction. Each unit also contains a parent/caregiver video explaining ways to support children's literacy development at home.
Quick Guide to Virtual Teaching for the Units of Study
The Quick Guide offers guidance on workshop essentials and best practices, with specific advice for those whose classrooms will remain virtual including tips for planning and for filming additional videos for your students.
Student Facing Minilessons
Platform Demo Video
Preview the Units of Study Virtual Teaching Resources platform.
Planning Support/Terms and Conditions
- Each teacher who will use the 2022-23 Virtual Teaching Resources must have his or her own subscription for use with his or her own students. Subscriptions are not shareable or transferrable.
- All 2022-23 School-Year subscriptions will expire on June 30, 2023.
- The email address you supply with your order is the email to which Heinemann will send the subscription activation code(s) for your order. For school or district orders, that person must be prepared to receive, distribute, and track subscription activation codes.
- Returns and exchanges of subscription activation codes will be accepted prior to activation and must be requested within two weeks of receipt of your order, whichever is later.
- Except as noted in the order form below, all grade-level Virtual Teaching Resources subscriptions are available ONLY to users of the corresponding print sets of Units of Study. New UOS users will be required to register their print units before they will be able to access their UOS Virtual Teaching Resources subscriptions (current users will already have OLR set up in their accounts). New users will find detailed instructions in the frontmatter of their print Guides and Unit Books to register their units before they will be able to access their UOS VTR subscriptions).
- Please note: The units in the 2022-23 UOS VTR do not specifically align to the units in the print sets of Units of Study.
- Required and recommended trade books: Teachers will need copies of specific trade books to teach some of the virtual units, along with enough books to support a high volume of student reading across all units. See the Required and Recommended Trade Books Books List for complete details on necessary trade books and additional recommended titles and series you may wish to consider as you provision classrooms: https://www.unitsofstudy.com/resourcecenter/resource?id=680.
Writing Virtual Teaching Resources
Reading Virtual Teaching Resources
Please Note: Just like the Middle School Reading print units, the Virtual Teaching Resources for Grades 6-8 Reading are sold separately, unit-by-unit.
Reading Partners Subscriptions and Required Trade Books
Reading Partners Recommended Trade Books
Please Note: Unlike the libraries shelves in the section above, these shelves are not required to use the Reading Partners KLMN, OPQR, or STUV subscriptions.